Thursday, October 21, 2010

Vegan Paradise

Is Portland.

I am squatting at my bachelorette pad in NE this week, trying to secure new tenants and make a few repairs. Though I'm having fun, and reuniting with a ton of friends (hello ladies that I have a hot date with TONIGHT!), I am eager to kiss my husbando and pooches. A week is a long time, yo!

You should see my set up - I have one pot, one bowl, a french press, a mug, and an air mattress. (And a pound of Stumptown!!)

Using the "Happy Cow" app on my phone, there are about a billion vegan food options within a 10 minute walk from this place. Seriously! Alberta St. might as well be re-named VEGAN AVENUE, given the fact that there are not one, but TWO vegan bakeries, several veg-friendly restaurants, and even A ENTIRELY VEGAN FREAKING BAR (supposedly run by hot boys, but I haven't been in yet to verify), people!
I don't remember it being like this when I lived here.... but then again, I was still a full-fledged Omni at the time and probably wouldn't have noticed anyway.

I've eaten my way up and down Mississippi too, and have determined that I would happily eat a Native Bowl from those cute food carts every single day if I lived here.

So: the 22nd marks one month of veganism.
Have I lost weight? I haven't weighed myself but I don't think so.
That wasn't really the point anyway. (Though I realize if I am going to ever wear jeans again, I will definitely need to STOP BAKING ALL THE DAMN TIME! Oh, and possibly reunite myself with this activity known as exercise.)

Here's the TMI part: I've never been more regular. Like, ever. Even when I'm in hotel rooms, which used to require pills.

And also? I haven't ever given two shits about my nails, (they weren't even painted on our wedding day!) but can I just tell you that they are long and luxurious and strong and I should probably get a mani so that I don't wind up looking like this:
Photobucket

The only downer: I don't feel comfortable coming out of the closet with a lot of people. For instance, my colleagues. They already think I am the weird hippie from Oregon because I am not Catholic (like ALL of them! No joke!) stopped eating chicken, and carry recyclables with me until I can dispose of them properly. I can typically side-step the vegan convo by suggesting Asian restaurants.

And with clients? I am DEFINITELY not comfortable. In my professional life I feel enough like an outsider because I am not Christian or Republican. I'm sure a lot of these feelings are self-imposed and I am probably being judgemental by assuming that these people will think I am a gigantic weirdo that they no longer want to do business with, let alone have lunch with. Sigh. For now - I just do the best that I can. Twice I've eaten dairy, and another time I had soup that was likely made with chicken stock. Sales are tricky.... you often have to make the client think that you could be friends. I don't hunt, fish, golf or scrapbook (a sample of common convos) but I can fake my way through it decently enough.

Also: when someone invites me to their home for dinner, I will say that I'm vegetarian, but I don't want to put them through the agony of suggesting that I prefer not to eat dairy or eggs. It was just nice of them to invite me over, you know?

Okay - had better get back to scrubbing mold off of the bathroom ceiling. Don't ask... it's gross and hopefully I've fixed the issue.

3 comments:

  1. I think that being vegan is totally weird. BUT, not nearly as weird as being Catholic or Republican. As long as you don't turn into one of those creepy self-righteous vegans who yells at meat-eaters, I think you'll be just fine.

    I think that your colleagues & clients don't need to know that you're vegan, any more than they need to know your political or religious leanings. :)

    So excited to see you tonight, weirdo vegan lady! I'll bring the bacon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you're right. I really don't tell people, but I also want to avoid asking the server at a brew pup 8000 questions... so I just lump it and wind up eating whatever bone on the menu that they've opted to throw to vegetarians. (It usually involves cheese, and almost always mushrooms, neither of which I would typically choose to eat.)

    Ha ha, I look forward to you and your bacon eating this evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for our date tonight! I never thought about it as a weird thing just a "why on earth would you want to do that thing." Amy and I tried it for one week and man o man I missed my cheese! I think I could probably go vegetarian though I would miss turkey at thanksgiving and the occasional burger at a BBQ.

    I heard that vegans can't drink beer b/c of the yeast? Is that true? If so, then I know Justin wouldn't let me go vegan =).

    I don't like to talk about my exercise habits at work---it's not b/c my co-workers aren't supportive, in fact, some of them run, but they asked me once during half ironman training how much exercise I was doing in a week and I felt really uncomfortable talking about it. They looked at me like "get a life"---so I just go on about my business and if they see a run, bike or swim on my calendar I hope they don't judge.

    PS If you have extra jeans/any clothes you want to part with, you know I love raiding your closet!!!!!!!!!!!!

    PPS I wish you had said something about only having an air mattress you could have crashed in our guest room which has a real bed =).

    ReplyDelete