Sunday, April 25, 2010

Earth Girl Falls For Not-So-Earthy

So, my 6th grade teacher was a hardcore environmentalist. And he really impacted me, as an impressionable 12 year old, and it all kind of stuck with me. And then I married an environmental attorney. We compost or recycle the vast majority of our garbage. We get organic veggies from one of the local farms delivered every Thursday. We quit eating meat, mainly for environmental reasons. We drink tap water and carry Siggs with us at all times. We only buy hippie-dippie cleaning products (or make our own) and we try to repurpose as much "stuff" as we possibly can. Blah, blah, blah, you get the point. Plus I spent the last 9 years of my life in Portland, where all of the above just kind of goes with the territory.

Anyhoo, all of that, and I am about to tell you about a mop that I love. With disposable (gasp!!) maxi pad thingies that you stick to it. With cleaning fluid that is definitely not hippie dippie. (Though to my credit - when we run out of the potentially toxic cleaning stuff that comes with it, I will refill it with my own earth lovin' mix of cleaning solution.)

This, my friends, is my cleaning vice:
Meet: the Swiffer WetJet
Photobucket

Ever since the giant dog came into our lives, the need for mopping has SKYROCKETED.
She sheds, slobbers and makes a mess of her lunch, but she's ridiculously lovable so we certainly don't mind her slovenly ways. I was dragging out a mop and bucket daily (for use in the kitchen) until I was at a friends house and noticed her super tidy WetJet, at the ready, no icky bucket water necessary. (I also noticed this friend drinks only bottled water eventhough her tap water is fine and she THROWS AWAY THE PLASTIC BOTTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly had a heart attack.)

I am going to find some kind of substitute for the disposable maxi pad thingies that attach to the bottom (maybe I'll cut up some microfiber rags that will stick to the velcro parts? I dunno - but I'll come up with something). I can mop the kitchen floor in about 5 minutes, top, no gross bucket to rinse out, no clean-up whatsoever. It was the best $16 I have ever spent.

Did I really just write a blog post about a mop? I guess you now see the extent of my OCD neat-freakiness. I seriously think I am becoming more relaxed about things...but maybe not so much.

I have become June Cleaver and get excited about mops.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, but June Cleaver got sh*t done! :)

    How's morty doing with the new beast? loving his new sister??
    I've been doing really well on the enviro-front as well. Started having organic produce delivered every other week. Comes from local organic farmers. I love that I can be environmentally-responsible & support local farming.

    Also... I started a "hodge podge" blog of fashion, craziness & whatever else spews out of my mouth over @ cr8happiness.wordpress.com
    It's sort of my coming out of the blogging closet, without actually having anyone connect the two blogs I write. :)
    Plus, I get to put actual pics of myself on my blog & not freak out!

    Sooooo glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://cre8happiness.wordpress.com/ -- that works. the above wouldn't for some reason...

    ReplyDelete